October 25, 2017

By Jessica Levine

MONSEY, NY – The Roadrunners picked up another win in their Friday October 20th home game against the SUNY Maritime Privateers.  With the win, Ramapo sweeps the season matchup between the two squads, having also won the previous tilt by a score of 7-3.  

Ramapo took an early 1-0 lead when Keith Doherty converted on a power play chance at just 3:36 in the period off a feed from freshman defenseman Zack Toy.  Maritime returned the favor at 7:47 to make it 1-1, scoring just seven seconds into their power play.  The teams went to 4-on-4 hockey when both Pat Callinan and Maritime’s Ernest Barbero headed to the box for coincidental roughing calls with 2:22 left in the period.  The Privateers capitalized on this and scored the go-ahead goal after ten seconds of 4-on-4 play to end the period with a 2-1 lead over the Roadrunners

The second period started slowly with no penalties called or goals scored in the first eight minutes of play.  At 8:04 Ethan Bunch, number eleven for the Privateers, went to the box for the fourth time that night after being called for interference.  Bunch was joined by a teammate just nineteen seconds later, giving the Roadrunners a 5-on-3 power play where Keith Doherty was able to score his second of the night and tie it up at 2-2. Keith Henning and Kyle DeBel earned assists on the play.  Bobby Spetz gave the Roadrunners the lead at 12:30 when he buried a feed from DeBel and Josh Filipovits past the Maritime netminder. With 5:10 left in the period Maritime tied it at 3-3, but the tie was short-lived. DeBel scored shorthanded at 15:20 to make it 4-3 in favor of the Roadrunners.  With just a minute and a half left in the period, the Roadrunners found themselves on a 5-on-3 penalty kill after both Doherty and DeBel received roughing calls at 1:31.  DeBel was also handed a 10-minute misconduct.  Maritime scored with the 5-on-3 advantage with 25.6 seconds left to end the period with both teams tied at 4.

The Roadrunners dominated the third period and scored four unanswered goals.  The first came from freshman David Sabato at 4:38 in the period from Doherty and Spetz, breaking the tie for a 5-4 lead.  Spetz scored his second of the night at 14:15 from DeBel, now out of the box from his 10-minute misconduct.  The goals kept coming for the Roadrunners and DeBel widened the lead to 7-4 twenty seconds later with Doherty and Spetz assisting. DeBel scored his hat-trick completing goal with just 58.3 seconds left in the game to give the Roadrunners the 8-4 win.