January 18, 2017

Jan 14, 2017

DIX HILLS, NY – The Roadrunners returned from the long winter break to soundly beat MCHC rival Suffolk. The game was marred by atrocious officiating. A total of 27 minor penalties, one major fighting penalty, and two-ten minute unsportsmanlike misconduct penalties were assessed for the game.

Right from the start it was evident that this was going to be a very physical game. Coincidental roughing penalties and a minor unsportsmanlike conduct penalty were called 1:16 into the game. Ramapo’s penalty unit limited Suffolk to just one shot on goal. The Sharks capitalized on Ramapo’s tripping penalty at 5:27. The power play goal was scored at 6:11. Ramapo came back 1:32 later. Keith Doherty took a passed from Zach O’Connor and deked the Suffolk goalie left and put the puck into the upper right corner of the net to knot the score at 1. It was becoming obvious that the refs were starting to lose control of the game. At 15:17, Matt Rose’s snap shot from the right faceoff dot was blocked by the Suffolk defense.  O’Connor picked up the rebound and fired the loose puck into the Sharks net. Rose was credited with an assist. Ramapo carried a 2-1 lead into the locker room.

The trio of Dan Demarco, Keith Doherty and Keith Henning put on a skilled display of puck movement to tally the next Ramapo score at 4:07. Doherty and Henning worked the puck back and forth at the blue line until Doherty was open to take a shot on goal. Demarco was at the top of the crease to tip the puck into the net. However, the Sharks cut the Ramapo lead to 3-2 at 8:28 as a result of a costly giveaway in the defensive zone. Two Suffolk penalties at 9:01 gave the Roadrunners a 5 on 3 advantage. Doherty and Anthony Carudo set up Demarco for his second goal of the game giving Ramapo a 4-2 lead. At the 13:16 mark, Matt rose picked up a Carudo rebound and backhanded the puck into the Suffolk net. The power play goal made the score 5-2. From that point on, the game was totally out of control. It appeared that the referees could not keep up with the speed of the game. A frustrated Suffolk team was taking runs at Ramapo players. There were times when Ramapo retaliated, there were times Ramapo skated away. There were pileups in front of the net resembling a rugby scrum. Eight penalties were handed out in a span of three minutes. Just 42 seconds after Rose’s goal, Josh Filipovits won a face-off to the right of the Suffolk goal, he got the puck back to O’Conner who fired the puck into the net from the right point. That gave Ramapo a commanding 6-2 lead.

The third period was also filled with penalties, including two ten minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Filipovits topped off the scoring at 11:40 with a snap shot from the top of the right circle. Demarco and Pat Callinan assisted on the play. Roadrunners goalie Keith Gay tuned back all 16 Suffolk shots in the period. He ended the game with 38 saves. Despite the dreadful officiating and chippy play by Suffolk, Ramapo scored an impressive 7-2 victory.

The win, plus two forfeit wins against Kings Point, upped the Roadrunners season record to 19-1. Ramapo’s next game is Sunday, January 20 at 6:45 against Division II rival NJIT in Newark. The game has regional playoff implications. Ramapo needs the win to be considered for ACHA Atlantic Division playoff contention.